Friday, February 9, 2007

My first big race...

I have what I consider to be my first big race tomorrow. I have done a bunch of 5 and 10ks and even a 7+mile cross country run. But the race tomorrow is 10 miles and that's the furthest I have ever run (other than hashes but they con't count). It is an out and back along a quality trail, gradual uphill on the way out and downhill back. My goal is to complete it in an hour and a half which will be 9 min miles. Now I have my garmin I should be able to keep better track of my pace. I actually aim to stay under 9 min miles on the way out, so that on the way back I may be able to up my pace as its downhill.

My other goal is to win the Athena class. This is for women who weigh over 150lbs, which much to my annoyance I still do, and I affectionately call it the Fat Lass Class. I actually think it should be based on your BMI, as 150lbs at 5'2 is way different to 150lbs at 5'10. Being an average 5'7 I usually fair pretty well. I won this class a couple of times last year and came second twice as well. The problem is I spend half my time on the run literally "weighing" up my opposition!!!

As I have the day off work, I was going to go and check the trail conditions to see if I need my Yaktrax. Anyway, I decided not only is that a bit anal, but I have better things to do, like shopping!! The weather forecast for tomorrow is cloudy, 38f (feels like 33f). Fortunately the snow is likely to hold off until later in the evneing. For me that is perfect conditions because I like running when its cooler.

So wish me luck!!

3 comments:

Outdoorgirl said...

I love running in cold weather too! You can never feel the pain because your body is frozen. It rocks!! Good luck tomorrow!

Tiffany said...

Good luck!! You will do great :) The Garmin is a good way to stay distracted while running... I look at mine every 2 seconds, like an addiction!

brownie said...

Good run - 2nd place Athena!