Monday, February 12, 2007

I'm hanging up my running shoes!

I was really disappointed with my performance at my race on Saturday. The weather was great but the ground conditions sucked. There was between 6-12 inches of soft snow for about 70% of the trail and it was very difficult to run on. I am always very hesitant over uneven terrain as I have weak ankles and sprain them very easily. My legs felt like lead from the outset and my recurring sciatica reared itself so that for the first 3 miles my left leg was completely numb. The one saving grace is that they cut the run short as they couldn't get any further down the trail due to the snow. So my 10 mile run turned into 7 miles, much to my relief, as I contemplated turning around more than once. Fortunately, on the return leg I started to feel better, possibly because it was slightly downhill. I spotted ahead of me a girl who had past me earlier who I had "weighed up" as an Athena competitor. I made it my goal to pass her, which I did on one of the few unsnowy stretches of trail and finished 38 seconds ahead. That gave me second place in the Athena category, although a good 7 mins behind the winner! My final time was 1:15. A slow pace but I was just pleased to finish. I have resigned myself to a life of short road races!!

And yes, I have already drunk considerably for whining. Saturday night at the Famous drowning my misery with copious amounts of red wine.

The highlight of the weekend was a good long bike ride yesterday on a glorious Colorado winter day at 51f.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

No more long runs! Fortunately for you, the Black Forest 20K is counted as a sprint distance.

Outdoorgirl said...

Sounds like an adventure! I got an idea you and I can drink ourselves silly at the goddess gathering on 23 FEB. I can't remember or not if you said you were coming? Brownie, leaving the coming part out of it :) LOL

Catwoman said...

I intend to be there although when I mentioned it to DH he wasn't too happy that I was doing something without him! I asked him for a ball & chain for v-day!!

Drinking always sounds good. I've resigned myself to just doing the 10k at Black Forest.

Late Nite Drive Thru said...

Great job on the 2nd place Athena!

Tiffany said...

Way to go!! Congratulations! :)

Outdoorgirl said...

Bummer! I really wish you could hang out. Great job on the race! I am going to run the 10K too. That will be fun! I might bring my dog, who almost got me evicted, to the race. I have to find out if it is dog friendly.

Catwoman said...

There are not usually any dogs on these races.