Thursday, February 8, 2007

"The fog on the Tyne is all mine, all mine, the fog on the Tyne is all mine..

It is foggy this morning in Colorado Springs, which bought back happy memories of the UK. I haven't been back since I moved here in May '04. Our plan is to make a trip this summer, assuming DH gets reassigned to DC, then we can take a month or so off as I will be finishing my job anyway.

The fog here of course is nothing like we would get in the UK. I remember several occasions driving somewhere and not being able to see the road signs, car lights or even the curb. It was an adventure, although it would take forever to get anywhere. The term "pea soup fog" is not exaggerated.

It also reminds me of one particular hash trail. Every year at the end of January Yorkshire H3 would have its AGPU (Annual General Piss Up). We would book a hotel out in the sticks where the running terrain was excellent. The trail on Saturday was traditionally long, about 10 miles. One year (1996 I think) I volunteered to lay that trail together with Burglar Bill. We started at a trail head and finished at a village rugby club, going over hill and vale in between. When we lay the trail in the morning it was just cold & a little icy. When the pack came to run the trail however, the fog had set in and there was one point where the trail went randomly across a field and it was impossible to find the trail because the fog was so thick. Eventually we had to lead the hashers to safety (at YH3 the hares lay the trail and then go around the trail at the back of the pack to make sure no-one gets lost). (The other thing we used to do on these weekends was bus people to the start and back to the hotel, which meant you could get into some really good terrain. I'm always surprised that they don't do that here!).

I just went out for coffee and it seemed like it was trying to snow. That wasn't in the forecast. Please, no more snow!!

3 comments:

Fabio said...

ok ok come here!
http://jornaleros-achekchek.blogspot.com/

Outdoorgirl said...

Dude you can't move to DC that sucks! So are you coming to the Goddess Gathering on the 23 of FEB????

Catwoman said...

I plan to but my only concern is that I also plan to run a 20k the next day. Not 100% sure I will do it as it is cross-country and that will kick my butt. But I will definitely at least do the 10k, which i CAN do with a hangover :-).

I'm not too thrilled about DC but marrying military means moving around!