Sunday, January 7, 2007

Skiing Adventure

We had a pretty good time in Breckenridge last week. I didn't get out to ski as much as usual as I was entertaining my sister who doesn't ski, hence lots of shopping!!! I still managed to get a few hours skiing in during which I had a pretty spectacular fall. I was skiing horseshoe bowl, which is a double-black, and lost my footing on a turn near the top and proceeded to hurtle about 200 feet down the side of the mountain. I could see there were no rocks or trees to impeded my passage so I just lay back and enjoyed the ride. My attempts to try to stop my fall were pretty futile. It was actually a bit scary and when I eventually came to a stop I felt like lying there for a while but thought I had better get up to let my husband and brother-in-law, who were at the top of the run, know I was still alive. I then hiked up to retrieve one of my poles while hubby and BIL collected my other pole and skis, which were scattered along the hillside. This incident did not enhance my love of skiing. Fortunately my only injury is neck and shoulder muscle strain. The next day hubby also had a bad fall and landed very hard on a sharp rock. Fortunately he landed on his butt as anywhere else could have been really nasty. He now has an enormous black-red bruise which goes from his lower back, covering the whole of his left butt cheek, to the top of his leg - about 18" long by 12" wide. Ouch!! I also took my sister snow shoeing which was great fun and much safer!

No comments: