Sunday, January 21, 2007

Cross Country Caper

I woke up Saturday morning with a hangover from hell. I looked out of the window and it had been snowing. "great day to stay in bed" I thought to myself. Then DH says, "what time is the run?". Me: "what run?". DH: " the 5k you signed us up for". Me: "oh, we don't have to do it if you don't want - it only cost 10 bucks each". DH: "It's up to you, but I'm happy to do it". So I crawled out of bed at about 9:15am (the race starts at 10 and it's a good 20 min drive to get there) and say "OK let's do it before I change my mind". It has more or less stopped snowing but it is a chilly 22f and no sun in sight. We make it just in time, as I think I know where it starts but I am totally wrong. We eventually find it. When I get out of the car I comment to DH "look there's some crazy SOB running in this weather in shorts and sleeveless top". On closer inspection I realise that it's Brownie in a feeble attempt to try to look macho to prove he isn't gay. So we set off, DH goes charging ahead as he is determined to beat me as I beat him in the last two 5ks we have run. I take a while to warm up, but once I get in my stride I feel GREAT! I pass DH after the first hill and keep him in my sights (behind me) all the way. Hills usually kill me but I managed to run almost all on this race. The last one kicked my butt and I started to walk, but when I turned around and saw DH catching me up, so I made one final push. The last section was downhill so I kicked out and increased my lead. As I crossed the finish line I heard the organiser say "you get a prize". Me? What for? I never win anything! In the excitement I forgot to look at my time and then I was waiting to cheer DH in. I then looked at my watch and it said 34 something, so I guess my time was 33 something, which given the weather conditions, hangover, and damn tough course was pretty respectable. It turns out I got second place in the women's class. It was a pretty small group so I'm not letting it go to my head. However, I had thought I would be miles behind everyone as I expected only the stalwart/really good cross-country runners to turn out for this one. Before the race they said they were doing the awards inside. So we waited for ages by the building and then someone came over to tell us that they had decided to do the awards at the start. Great! I went back over and got my prize - a Colorado Running Company mug and a $25 gift certificate from CRC. (sorry this is all one paragraph but my enter key is not having any effect in getting the cursor to go on the next line).

3 comments:

brownie said...

You're just jealous you don't have a Shikellamy Cross Country t-shirt!

Lulu said...

Great job at the race!

brownie said...

Results are up, you ran 33:29.