Monday, March 12, 2007

GPS test

I went for a run yesterday on the Sante Fe trail from Woodmen Road north. I decided to test the accuracy of my Garmin Forerunner as I have been doubting its integrity.

I ran out on the trail exactly 3.5 miles. The trail is pretty straight, just a few bends here and there. I turned around and ran back the same way and when i got back to the car the GPS read 7 miles exactly. So it seems it is pretty accurate in itself.

I also thought I would test it against an external measure. On this trail there are mile markers so I checked my mileage at the first marker - 4.03m and then at the second mile marker - 5.01m. So a little off the actual mileage (maybe due to a windy section) but close enough for me!

I ran the first 2.5 miles with DH but he was not feeling well (full of cold) so we ran very slow. Eventually I took off and met him back at the car. As a result my overall time was slow. I ran the first 3.5 miles in 39 mins and the complete 7 miles in 1hr 14 mins. At least I ran the second half 4 mins faster but still a slow run. But the weather was fantastic and I really enjoyed just taking it easy.

No comments: