Monday, April 30, 2007

Wooo-freakin'-hoooooooo!!!!

What a fantastic weekend in Fruita. The party started Thursday night with a VIP party with free beer (Belgium brewery) , free food and a band so bad it was entertaining. If you like mountain biking and you've never been to Fruita you are missing out on the best trails ever. Much better then Moab in my humble opinion as there is much more variety in trail terrain, length and location. It's also not as far as Moab and not as hot, a perfect 80f all weekend.

There are 5 main areas with a bunch of trails in each. We hit three of them, a different one each day. The first involved a long climb up a very technical ridge - Moore Fun Trail. This is a grade 5 trail (i.e. most difficult). And I confess I had to get off a few times, especially near the top. But I was the only girl that we saw on this trail so I deserve kudos for that. The next day we did Zippity Doo Daa (grade 4) which was a very exposed rolling relatively unobstructed trail. I got a little freaked at a couple of points as it went along a ridge that fell away both sides. I do not have a great head for heights so I just focused on the trail. There were a few very steep down hill sections which I wimped out on. Even DH didn't attempt one and we nearly lost Testiclees as he slid sideways down the hill. Again, I was the only girl on this trail. After that we did another ride which was less technical but very scenic and the down hill return was like a rollercoaster with banks and bumps. Too much fun. I could do that one every day. Final day we hit an area near Grand Junction on the way home. We did Andy's /Ribbon trail (grade 3/4) which was beautiful but very tough with a long technical uphill slog which we all did hike-a-bike on for a while. There was even one bit where we had to carry/lift our bikes up a cliff. I wouldn't have managed it alone as I need both hand just to climb the darn thing (no other girls doing this bit either!!).

Great bands every night (except the first!!) and lots of good beer. Other then a few scrapes and bruises no serious injuries. I twisted my ankle when I slipped off the ramp going into a bar (yes, i had been drinking!).
Here's a photo of me and DH at the top of Moore Fun Trail.


And here's me tackling Andy's Trail.

1 comment:

Outdoorgirl said...

I rode a whole wopping 1 hour this weekend due to current crappy hip injury!! Boohoo! Fruit sounds great. maybe I will head down there on a not so crowded weekend.