Monday, May 7, 2007

Garden of the Gods 5 miler

I ran this race on Saturday and was a little disappointed with my performance. Last year I ran it in 44:58 and was determined to beat my time this year. Last year I also won the Athena category and wanted a repeat. According to my Garmin I ran 45:00, but my official time was 45:06. What is really frustrating is that I had to stop to tie my shoe laces and that few seconds could have made all the difference!! I also came second in the Athena category by about 30 seconds. There are a couple of turns in the race and I could see my competitor for the Athena title but I just didn't have any extra umph to catch her. I felt I was running harder then last year, but obviously not. I seem to run better when DH runs the race as well as he pushes me to start hard, whereas this time I took it pretty easy on the first hill. Being about 4 lbs heavier this year probably didn't help either!!

Ironically I did better overall and in my age group this year then last. Overall 41/166 (45/133 in 06) and age group 8/26 (12/35 in 06).

It was still a great race and the rain stayed away until after we had finished.

Then it was on-on to the stinko de mayo hash which was lots of fun and I was sorry to have to leave early for a very boring retirement party.

3 comments:

Outdoorgirl said...

Cat women what are the shoes you bought that have mass cushion? I am wondering if the shoes i have are not taking the impact of running like I need them too.

Catwoman said...

Nike Air Max 360.

They sell them at Colorado Running Co. Cost is $160. They do 15% military discount there, or sometimes you can get 15% off coupons from the free mags.

I'm due a new pair before I leave.

brownie said...

If you join the Pikes Peak Road Runners you get a 20% discount from Colorado Running Co.